An accomplished user experience and creative design manager with 16 years experience focusing on web design & development, user experience, interaction design, product & brand strategy, project management, and online marketing. I as highly creative with excellent collaborative interpersonal skills and a dynamic team player with well-developed communication abilities.
UX Architect 06/2012 - present
- Responsible for designing and developing the next generation of Adometry Attribute and Adometry Click Forensics product experiences.
- Lead the effort to establish a new user experience paradigm that was based on current web standards, industry best practices, and focused on designing a product with the end user's goals in mind.
- Introduced the concept of reusable UI pattern libraries to the Product and Engineering teams in an effort to create a consistent user experience across our applications and to increase product development throughput.
- Developed the first design and user experience application style guide for the Attribute and Click Forensics products and ensured proper application of these guidelines.
- Introduced and established the concept of a User Centered Design process in order to develop a consistent feedback loop with end-users and client advocates.
- Responsible for the design of all wireframes, mockups, product workflows, visual designs and graphical assets for the Adometry product suite.
- Provided oversight and guidance to a small team of product and design contractors.
Creative Director 09/2011 - 06/2012
- Establish and develop a full service User Experience Design team to satisfy the needs of Product, Marketing, and Advertising initiatives.
- Develop and manage overall creative design and user experience direction for all MyEdu product lines.
- Provide guidance to teams on the consistent application of design and UX strategy in regards to web and mobile application design.
- Create and manage UI pattern library.
- Manage corporate brand and application style guides.
- Manage team assignments, project timelines, and staff resourcing levels.
- Introduced the concept of "Agile Design" as part of the overall Agile Development process.
- Lead team through the introduction and establishment of the User Centered Design process in order to develop a consistent feedback loop with end-users.
- Coordinate and conduct one-on-one user interviews and usability tests with end-users and deliver study findings to Senior Management and Project teams.
- Monitor application usage patterns, direct customer support feedback, and A/B testing metrics to optimize user experience designs.
- Develop UX wireframes, design mockups, and prototypes, as needed, for web and mobile product initiatives.
Hoover's, Inc./ Dunn & Bradstreet, Inc. – Austin, TX
- User Experience and Design Director 2008 - 09/2011
- Creative Services Manager 2001 - 2008
- Interactive Services Manager 1999 - 2001
- Online Producer 1997 - 1999
- Provide extensive user experience, creative management, and operations leadership across all aspects of Hoover's product lifecycle development from conceptualization and user research exploration through budgeting, requirements documentation, product design, and brand management.
- Led team through the adoption, implementation and management of the Agile and scrum development process. Developed new methods and process for including user experience testing and visual design checkpoints within the Agile process.
- Managed the creative and UI development of iPhone and Smart-phone applications for the Hoover's product line.
- Introduced User Centered Design philosophy and processes into all aspects of product development. Normalized UCD procedures to allow for efficient and easily adoptable standards across the organizations The UCD process contributed to a 125% lift in customer satisfaction during initial roll-out and consistent 25% increase in customer satisfaction year-over-year.
- Provided creative direction and project oversight in developing a new brand identity for Hoover's Inc., in conjunction with one of the nation's foremost branding agencies. Oversaw the implementation and roll out of the new brand identity across the organization.
- Managed teams that directly contribute to the increase in sales conversion rates of 25%-30% year-over-year, beginning in 2002. This has been accomplished by constantly improving the user experience of the product line offerings.
- Proposed the creation of the Interactive Services team with the goals of increasing operational and strategic bandwidth of front-end web development resources and reducing outsourcing expenses by 20%. Both goals were accomplished within the first year of team formation.
- Won the approval to expand my team to include User Experience and usability testing as a team discipline. This new team has a proven track record of positive ROI and is consistently saving $1.25 – $1.36 million dollars per year on outsourced consulting, staffing, and production expenses.
MetroSurf – Corpus Christi, TX
Lead Web Designer & Development Manager 1996-1997
- Founding member of this internet community that published online reviews and tourist guides for Corpus Christi Texas and the Texas Gulf Coast region.
- Responsible for the overall design, layout, and user flow of the website.
- Managed the content publishing systems and coordinated site updates.
- Supervised external freelance writers, photographers, and graphics.
KEYE42 – Austin, TX
Online Editor, Sports Videographer 1995-1997
- Edited various news and sports packages for on-air broadcast.
- Developed news package graphics.
- Maintained archive of satellite downlink feeds and raw footage library.
- Videotaped various sporting events for on-air broadcast.
Tele-Print Express – Austin, TX
Video Technician Manager 1995-1997
- Managed day-to-day operations of video duplication facility.
- Supervised technical staff
- Developed and maintained company website and online ordering system.
The University of Texas at Austin – Austin, TX
Station Manager 1993-1994
- Supervised 21 person staff.
- Oversaw all aspects of video production and station management.
- Negotiated and implemented station operating budget.
- Facilitated the conversion from closed cable access to low power broadcast.
THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN, TX
BS, Radio, Television, & Film
Minor in Anthropology 1994
Skills & Software
- User Centered Design Methodologies and Techniques
- Information Architecture
- Agile and scrum Development Process
- Brand Identity development and management
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Techniques
- Site planning and analysis
- User Interaction Design
- Visual Design for web and print
- Multimedia Production
- Video & Audio Production with online distribution
- HTML/XHTML, CSS
- Implementation of Web Accessibility Standards
- Microsoft Visio
- Axure RP
- Adobe Fireworks
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe In-design
- Final Cut
- Jive SBS
- Adobe Omniture
- Rally Software
- "Hoover's Rocks" Winner 2008 - Category: Getting More Done with Less
- SXSW Interactive Panelist 2007 - Creating a Kick-Ass In House Design Team
- First Annual Hoover's Club Winner 2005 - Category: Leading Innovation in the field of Advertising